»If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.« — Albert Einstein
and welcome to »UX und Tollerei«. This week a team of scientists announced that they found evidence of gravitational waves which ultimately supports the prediction of Einstein's general theory of relativity. As you can imagine, this is one of the biggest discoveries of modern science! If you want to learn more about it, I recommend reading this interview.
But for now, let's start with this week's round-up. Happy reading!
- It's Valentine's Day! Send a (beautiful designed) Love Note - spotify-valentines.com
- For front end people: Manuel Rego Casasnovas shares his comprehensive review of the different methods provided by CSS Grid Layout spec for positioning elements - Deep Dive into Grid Layout Placement
- A history of the Windows Start menu
- »When users are accustomed to using a pattern, even a minor change in that pattern can be very expensive in performance terms« - The Price Of Not Using UX Patterns
- On the potential of word-sized graphics (»sparklines«) in the narrative of a data-driven story - Tiny Data Visualizations
- Creative Confidence - The balance between attempting something new/uncertain and knowing it will turn out well
- »Examples of poor user experience design are everywhere - but what makes websites or services excel or even delight during use?« Looks like a great series in the making! This is what great UX looks like
- In preparation of this next read, go and watch OK Go's new (and catchy) music video »Upside Down & Inside Out« first! Now you probably want to know how they did it? Rhett Allain's got you covered - The Physics of OK Go’s Epic New Zero-G Video
- The Moment I Realized I Wasn't an »Artist«
- Dan Mall shares his advice for design agencies on how to avoid over-generalizing their skill set but instead focussing on one thing only - Oil Change & Pizza
That's it for this week. Remember to follow me @kaibrueckers if you have any suggestions or just want to chat a bit. Thanks for reading!
See you next week
Published on Feb 14, 2016